Makes 1 x 8ins cake
Grease and line 2 x 8in cake tin
- For the Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 190g Caster Sugar plus 40g
- 130g Self Raising Flour
- 2 tablespoons Elderflower Cordial
- For the Ganache
- 500g White Chocolate plus extra grated for decoration
- 125 ml Double Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Elderflower Cordial
Preheat theoven to 170 deg Fan Assisted
- Separate the eggs
- Mix together the Egg yolks and 190g of sugar until doubled in volume and pale in colour. This can take around 10 mins.
- In a scrupulously clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they come to a soft peak then add the 40 g sugar until well combined.
- Fold in the whisked Egg whites to the egg sugar mixture until well combined
- Fold in the flour until well combined
- Add the 2 tablespoons of Elderflower cordial
- Divide the mixture into the two cake tins
- Bake for 15 mins on the middle shelf until cooked by testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean
- Leave cakes to cool
Make the Ganache
- In a clean bowl add the white chocolate and melt over a pan of simmering water
- Take the chocolate off the heat and add the Double cream and Elderflower Cordial, mixing all the time.
- Leave to cool until a soft enough consistency for covering the cake.
- Cover the top of one cake layer with a small amount of ganache and add the other cake on top of this
- Cover the whole cake with the remaining Ganache and add some grated white chocolate for decoration in a circle on the edges of the cake.
A version of this recipe can be found in the Clandestine Cake Club Cook Book published Feb 2013