The hot weather continues, which means it can be very difficult to bake. If your kitchen is anything like mine it gets the westerly sun in the afternoon. So any baking that needs doing has to be done before the sun goes over the yardarm.
With this in mind, and trying to cater for the men in my life. I made some shortbread.
- 250g (8oz) Butter softened ( in this heat that’s no problem)
- 125g (4&1/2oz) sugar
- 1/4 tea spoon of salt ( try using ground sea salt)
- 1&1/2tsp Vanilla paste or seeds from a Vanilla pod.
- 365g (13oz) Plain Flour
- Whipped cream and a few berries
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go along.
- Add the salt and Vanilla paste and gradually add the flour half at a time. Mix until well combined.
- Round up the dough onto a sheet of greaseproof paper placing another sheet on top.
- Roll the dough between the 2 sheets until you create a rectangular shape. Not too thick and not too thin. The former will not cook and the latter will break.
- Place everything on a baking tray and leave in the fridge to cool for a few hours.
- Heat your oven to 180c/170deg fan assisted
- Take the tray of dough from the fridge and cut the shortbread into any shape you like. For me I went the easy route and cut them into rectangles. Arrange them on the tray with plenty of space around them. Use an additional tray if needed.
- Dust with sugar and bake in the oven for approx 15 – 20 mins or until baked. Depending on how thick you rolled out your dough.
- Leave on the tray to cool before eating.
- Keep in an airtight tin.
- Decorate with whipped cream and summer berries for a self indulgent treat. Or in my case, for the men in my life.