Cake has been in the air quite a lot recently and last week I went to Clandestine Cake Club in Manchester. Read all about it here. I made an Elderflower Cordial Cake with White Chocolate Ganache. I’ve never made White Chocolate Ganache before and I was guided by my Twitter friends to take care with the White Chocolate/Double Cream ratio. So I did and it seemed to work, may be more by luck than judgement, but when Twitter speaks I listen.
The car journey across the Pennines on the M62 was a story in itself. I was hungry for cake and allowed myself an extra half hour due to all the rush hour traffic. I only had my cake for company, the gent stayed at home. I kept the heating on as low as possible so as not to melt the ganache.
For the first hour the traffic was like a caterpillar, stop start, stop start. All the time I was watching the clock not wanting to be late for the party. Finally the roads cleared and I was away. I had a map emblazoned in my mind and after 2 hours I arrived on time. It was well worth the journey and my cake arrived in one piece.
I had a great time chatting to really lovely cake baking people and Gwyn the organiser. I’m off to Newcastle on Wednesday for their CCC event, it’s also their last one of the year and I want to see what cakey fun they have up there as well.
Travelling to Clandestine Cake Clubs and tasting all those lovely cakes, is hard work, but someone has to do it 🙂 Besides, what else can a Bakelady do in her retirement. Sitting by the front window watching the world go by is not an option in my world.
Elderflower Cordial Cake with white Chocolate Ganache
Makes 1 x 8ins cake
Grease and line 2 x 8in cake tin
- For the Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 190g Caster Sugar plus 40g
- 130g Self Raising Flour
- 2 tablespoons Elderflower Cordial
- For the Ganache
- 500g White Chocolate plus extra grated for decoration
- 125 ml Double Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Elderflower Cordial
Preheat t’oven to 170 deg Fan Assisted
- Separate the eggs
- Mix together the Egg yolks and 190g of sugar until doubled in volume and pale in colour. This can take around 10 mins.
- In a scrupulously clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they come to a soft peak then add the 40 g sugar until well combined.
- Fold in the whisked Egg whites to the egg sugar mixture until well combined
- Fold in the flour until well combined
- Add the 2 tablespoons of Elderflower cordial
- Divide the mixture into the two cake tins
- Bake for 15 mins on the middle shelf until cooked by testing the centre of the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean
- Leave cakes to cool
Make the Ganache
- In a clean bowl add the white chocolate and melt over a pan of simmering water
- Take the chocolate off the heat and add the Double cream and Elderflower Cordial, mixing all the time.
- Leave to cool until a soft enough consistency for covering the cake.
- Cover the top of one cake layer with a small amount of ganache and add the other cake on top of this
- Cover the whole cake with the remaining Ganache and add some grated white chocolate for decoration in a circle on the edges of the cake.