Children in Need is almost upon us so I thought I’d create a recipe suitable for people to make and have a cake sale. I wanted to add some flavour rather than the usual plain sponge so with inspiration from my Parkin Dessert at The Crab Apple Tree Supperclub last weekend, I decided to make this mini Stem Ginger Cake and Muffins with a Stem Ginger frosting.
The dark brown sugar gives it a slight toffee taste with the stem Ginger. It can be adapted for Cupcake Making by using smaller bun cases or leave off the frosting and decoration and just have them plain Ginger.
Preheat the oven to 170 deg fan assisted. Line the base of a 12 cm Springform tin.
Makes 8 Muffins plus 1 small cake
- Weight 3 large eggs in their shells
- Dark Brown Sugar same weight as the eggs
- Butter same weight as the eggs, softened
- Self Raising Flour same weight as the eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 2 pieces of Stem Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger Syrup from the jar
- 1 teaspoon of Ground ginger
- 6oz Full Fat Cream Cheese straight from the fridge
- 4 oz butter softened
- 2 oz Sifted Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Syrup
- 1 piece of Stem Ginger finely chopped
- Silver Spoon Coloured Choco Beans
- 50 g dark chocolate melted
- Handful of chocolate drops for Pudsey Bear eyes, optional
- Beat the Sugar and Butter together until light and fluffy
- Gradually add the beaten eggs one at a time, along with a little of the flour until all the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Fold in the remaining flour along with the baking powder.
- Add the Ground Ginger, Stem Ginger and Ginger Syrup
- Fill the 12 cms cake tin until 3/4 full
- Divide the remaining mixture into 8 paper muffin cases supported in a muffin tray.
- Bake the Muffins on the bottom of the Oven for 20 mins or until baked and 30 mins for the mini Cake in the middle of the oven. Testing with a skewer inserted in the cake until it comes out clean.
While the cakes are cooling make the Frosting
- Beat the softened butter
- Add the Cream cheese straight from the fridge
- Add the icing sugar and beat until well combined
- Add the Stem Ginger
- Cover the Muffins and cake with the frosting
- Place the melted chocolate into an icing bag with the small nozzle and create the Pudsey Bear face on top of each Muffin and the mini cake.
- Decorate the tops with the Coloured Choco Beans, using the Choc Drops for eyes – optional.
These should keep in an airtight tin for a few days.